Saturday, June 30, 2007

Persian Garden Party for John Edwards

As a registered member of the Democratic Party, I feel it my duty and responsibility to participate fully in all elections, down to those for school board (even though we do not have any children). I very strongly believe that participation is an answer to all our problems, from health insurance to torture and war. If I understand the word democracy correctly, participation is its essence.


I decided to answer the call for throwing a fund raising party for John Edwards due to my sheer belief that he is the most eligible candidate and the one with the most potential to be elected president. My husband, Evan, with unusual patience designed the flyer. With the help of our good friend, the artist Alireza Darvish, he gave the Persian prince a transplant of John Edwards’ head and had him hunting a Republican elephant. I received plenty of comments regarding the party, flyer, Edwards, and so on. They were all very well taken, particularly those who complimented us and those who graciously accepted the invitation, although many of them could not attend due to long distance we were from France, Germany, California, Texas, and Canada, and many were deterred by an unusual rain storm and the resulting disastrous traffic.



Among these comments was one concerning Edwards’ position on Iran. Apparently in an speech at the Herzliya, in Israel, Edwards said regarding Iran “all the options remain on the table,” meaning the possibility of attack on Iran is still an option. Well, I also heard the news; however it neither excites me nor surprises me. I have lived through the presidencies of six presidents to know that American foreign policy won’t alter very much by the president or even the party which takes over the White House or even the Senate or the House of Representatives. The policy of having hegemony on global oil supplies has never changed with a change of presidents. This is all the more true at this stage of the game, when the candidates are trying to get themselves nominated for the election and their attentions is entirely directed towards the American electorate. And we all know America’s friendship with any country won’t override their interest. We all have seen what happened to the so-call friends when they are no longer useful.


Our dear friend wrote:



Forgive me, but were Ms. Siegel strolling out in the 'Persian Garden' when Mr. Edwards (see http://www.rawstory.com/news/2007/Edwards_Iran_must_know_world_wont_0123.html) delivered his speech via satellite at a Jan '07 security conference in Herzliya, Israel?

He said that "Iran threatens the security of Israel and the entire world" strongly hinting at the need for possible US military action by repeating the familiar line "To ensure Iran never gets nuclear weapons, we need to keep ALL options on the table", and in case the audience were not paying attention he went on to emphasize his point "Let me reiterate" ALL options must remain on the table."

Unfortunately that is the same kind of 'reckless' war-mongering rhetoric and threatening posture we've seen too much from every other Israel-first, Zionist supported American politician in the last 6 years.

Yes, Mr. Edwards is an intelligent politician with some good plans to face the health care, poverty, and global warming issues. Perhaps even a defender women's rights, but make no mistake friends; he is no friend of Iran or Iranians.

I say to him, no, I was not strolling in a Persian garden when Edwards gave his speech. I simply paid it no mind. It is not Edwards’ position, but America’s position towards Iran, and not only do I not like it, but I abhor it. However, if the course of politics needs to be changed it has to be through grass roots activity and awareness, and that won’t be possible without getting involved. Is John Edwards perfect? Not at all. It is not just his position on Iran I disagree with, but I even have severe misgivings about many of his domestic policies. Do any of us like this shamble of health insurances? Does anybody in his right mind possibly think that he will do any thing about health insurance as long as “health” is a giant business in the United States? However, do any of us expect any candidate at this stage candidly to declare this? Do you think he will fight to free people’s health from the dominance and control of greedy entrepreneurs?

Well, I do not expect the impossible from any of them regarding Iran or any other country. I’m afraid it won’t be my generation to see any substantial change in American foreign policy. My only hope is by having a Democrat as a president who sticks strongly to the essential core of the Democratic Party, we will have a better ground for the growth of awareness and better education for the mass of Americans, with the hope that they will someday come to understand that the worlds need to be changed.

I know I sound very naïve, but it is no more naïve that my strong belief that one day Good will overcomes Evil.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not willing to believe that there is no difference between what a Gore or a Kerry would have done and what Dubya did.
Call me naive...
Meanwhile, check this out. No, they won't fulfill all their promises, but at least we have something to hold them accountable to.

Anonymous said...

Dear Mina:

Your invitation card was amazing! I agree that participation is the way to bring change about. I, too, vote regularly and quite ceremoniously! In the last Presidential elections, I may have made a fool of myself by delivering a one minute monologue at the polling station, addressing the poll workers with thanks and telling them how proud I was to have a chance to participate! I then wore my "I Voted" sticker proudly all day! Even when I couldn't yet vote, I would encourage my staff to get out there and vote by giving them the morning off and buying them lunch if they showed me their ballot stub! I am known to remind my American friends that millions of people in the world would give (and have given) their lives for the chance to be able to have a politcal system in which their votes count fairly and accurately. Over the top and dramatic, I know, but honest and aware, the least I can be and do as the person with the privilege of her one vote.